I think I’ve figured out how to make my mountains a little stronger. I’m not using this map for any story, I was just playing with features. Thus, if anyone else does want to use it, feel free.
Played around a bit with Photoshop to create a map for an upcoming story.
As I have been distracted by being quite literally chained to my desk, I decided to return to outer space for a tutorial as I didn’t have an image in mind to start out with. It’s a variation on a theme I’ve already explored, only this time using a photograph of clouds rather than generating clouds using Photoshop filters.
I wanted a green nebula, but as you can see it doesn’t work quite as well as the blue. The advantage of this, however, is that I can there are plenty of stock photos of clouds or similar patterns that can be used to give the nebula a specific desired effect. Or, in a pinch, I can always go out and take my own cloud photos. Those taken during a lightning storm could yield interesting results.
A friend fancies himself a musician, and asked me to consider making an album cover for him. With that in mind, I decided to try this tutorial.
In retrospect, I should have gone with picture that showed more animation and brighter colors. It’s a good image, just not right for this particular project.
It occurs to me that it’s best to make a place feel inviting. With that in mind, I’ve decided to try this tutorial.
I found his dungeon wall a little boring, so I went with my own. I did, however, use his font suggestion. My results?
If you like the wall, please feel free to use. It’s a composite of various images from CGTextures.
Today I’m going back to just playing with special effects. In my undersea work, and for that matter some of my space work, there is the need for bubbles / gobs of molten stuff. Thus, I went with this tutorial.
Nice, crisp, clean, and exactly as advertised.
After a break from Photoshop, it’s time to play again. In the story I’m working on, a couple of old photographs play an important role in the plot, and my cover design will eventually involve said photographs. Thus, I decided to use this tutorial.
Nice effect, good patina. I think if I redo the project, I may add some coffee stain like marks or other ‘damage’.
Well, I attempted this tutorial.
Unfortunately, he just went way too fast for me and I wasn’t able to determine settings. So, my results?
And I think I need to practice gradient maps just a bit more before trying this again. I was liking how it looked in black and white, and may just play with those results and go off in a different direction.
I have a composition in mind, but I want the finished results to have a watercolor feel to them. Thus, I decided to try this tutorial.
Nicely surreal, but I think I should have used the clone tool or some adjustments to fix the bits of lens flare. The purple bits kind of stand out on the rock. Still, a much, much better result than simply using Photoshop’s ‘watercolor’ filter.
I am continuing on with modifications of a human subject. Today’s tutorial was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
I’m sticking with manipulating people for just a while longer, and I’m still a bit inspired by Halloween. Thus, today I used this tutorial.
I did tweak the results a bit using some masks, getting rid of the sharper lines of the skull and fading the hair a bit into the background.
It is Halloween, so why not go with a classic?
Note: The flames image he uses in the tutorial is somewhat larger than the one he links too in the description. Be prepared to play with the transform tool.
Back into space once more. At some point, the heroes are going to need to walk… okay, fly… casually away from an explosion without looking. For that, we will need an explosion. I went with this tutorial.
I did play with the hue/saturation and other effects, but since I wanted an actual planetary explosion, I stuck with the above. However, it is easy to modify the effects, as you can see.
I think the lens flare is still a little much and would dial it back a bit, or use a lens flare brush instead of the render option. I also don’t care for the hot spots, but I think that’s just me rather than a problem with the concept. I tried to do a small one and a big one to see the distinction, and I think the small one looks fine but the big one is kind of messy.
On to part two:
Now, I started this for an eclipse, but as I got to this point I couldn’t help but think that this would be an absolutely awesome effect to use for someone’s eyes. Especially my characters of Khait and Laura/Erilon. I will definitely be playing with this some more.